Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

If Assholes Could Fly...

Hump day assholes:
Hump day is so bittersweet. It's like "you're half way there, but not quite!" This hump day was particularly painful for me because I worked a turnaround. If you don't know what that is, I'll explain. It's when you work one shift, wait 8 hours and go back for another. In this case, my turnaround was from 3-11pm and then back again at 7am-3. Miserable. The first few guests I saw were really nice and everything was going ok except for my occasional tendency to doze off or my constant yawning. Coffee was clearly not working. At one point, I had Dory (the little blue fish from Finding Nemo) in my head with her infamous catch phrase: "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." Nothing was helping me stay awake but finally I got the wake up call I needed. This guy came downstairs and I could tell he was pissed as soon as he stepped off the elevator. Realizing he had my attention already, he started screaming before he even got to the desk. "I had a blue and white striped towel in my bathroom and now it's gone!! I'm pretty sure your housekeepers swiped it!" Ooook, calm down! First of all, housekeeping scoops up all the towels when they go in to replace and refresh everything in the rooms. If the towels are all wadded up on the bathroom floor, they certainly don't go rifling through them to make sure they aren't scooping up any fancy schmancy personal towels. I explain to him that I'll have housekeeping find it and I'll bring it up to him as soon as they do so. This was not going to make him happy. "I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD TAKE MY PERSONAL TOWEL!" I told him it was probably just an accident and they grabbed it when they grabbed the dirty hotel towels in the room. Ooooooh no! Apparently the housekeepers were just out to get his precious striped towel. The way he was acting, I was sure this towel had some magical powers equivalent to Harry Potter's invisibility cloak. I was actually hoping to try it out when they did find the towel because at that point, I wanted nothing more than to be invisible. He continued to rant about how they have no right to take his personal belongings (I understand, but it's not like they took his laptop) and went on and on about how he was going to lock everything in his room up before he left. Whatever dude... you are literally insane. I ended up finding his towel, giving it back, deducting $25 from his stay here and offering him a half off coupon for his next stay just so he wouldn't make a customer complaint to the manager, which is a big ordeal and ends up being more of a pain in the ass for me. Mr. Loco ended up getting what he wanted and got the fuck out of my hair. I thought I could spend the rest of my day watching my trashy reality shows, but from previous posts, we all know what happens when I think. The elevator got stuck in between the 3rd and 4th floors and I had to get the maintenance guys to bring it down manually and then use the emergency elevator key to get the guests inside of it out. Of course, they all wanted their money back or a free stay or a freakin' million dollars because they were stuck in an elevator for 10 minutes. Super annoying. I finally got all but one guest appeased and he said he would be taking the matter up with the general manager because I "wasn't high enough up on the food chain to give him what he wanted." Who says stuff like that? I'll tell you who... DICKS. I mean seriously, if assholes could fly, this place would be an airport!! I have never met so many rude people in my life. One day I'll come to work and everything will just flow, but until that day comes, I'll be here... blogging away.



No comments:

Post a Comment