Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Working For The Weekend

Not a morning person:
It is a well known fact in my close circle of friends that I am NOT a morning person. I love sleep more than anything else, yet I work the morning shift that causes me to wake up at 5:30-6 a.m. 5 mornings out of the week. As delightful as I try to be at 7 a.m., it proves to be difficult, especially on days like today. I was running on very little sleep because my boyfriend snored like a freight train and hogged the blankets all night. Nonetheless, at 6 a.m., I was in the shower and by 7 a.m., I was standing behind the desk at my favorite hotel. I was on my 2nd cup of coffee and already contemplating whether or not I should use the french vanilla or hazelnut creamer in my 3rd. I assumed it would be a slow day but, alas, I assumed wrong. I only had thirteen checkouts, which isn't a lot but it is enough for me to know someone will surely complain. Surprise, surprise! First person to come to the desk complained that the breakfast wasn't exactly appealing to a "vegetarian palate" and the fruit we offer isn't organic. Seriously? It's a FREE hotel breakfast! If you don't like it, don't fucking eat it. I'm sorry that Farmer Fred isn't out back plucking carrots and potatoes to make the perfect vegetarian dish for you! How 'bout eating an apple or a bowl of cereal or a bagel or a muffin or a waffle? Anyway, I just apologized and moved on to the next. "Miss (squints to read my name tag) B-Broooooke? There is a problem with my hair dryer. It just isn't working." She insisted that I bring her a new one right away! I go get the new hair dryer and head up to her room to hook it up. I immediately realize why it wasn't working... IT WASN'T PLUGGED IN! I showed her what the problem was and she replied with "Well, ain't that just a hoot!" No, no it is not a hoot. I don't see any owls in here, lady. Of course, I get back to the desk to find a line of people complaining about having to wait, but since I'm usually the only one here that early in the morning, I have to do everything myself. Ugh. I could just feel myself becoming more and more agitated as each guest came down and just HAD to let me know some tiny detail about what could have made their stay here better. Finally I made it to the last checkout and he's a regular so I was a little relieved. I was checking him out and making small talk when he said, "Hey, what do ya say we grab some dinner and take in a movie when you get off?" This irritates me  for a few reasons. Number 1, he knows I have a boyfriend because he asked me why I moved up here on one of his visits. Number 2, I know for a FACT he's married. I just declined his offer but it really started to just piss me off. How inappropriate is it to ask someone to dinner and a movie when you're MARRIED? UGH!! I used to actually like this guy because he was always really nice to everyone at the desk but now I just think he's a scumbag. Anyway, I got all the loony toons out and was finally ready to settle in and catch up on my t.v. shows for the rest of the day. As if that would ever happen! My boss came in and started throwing mass amounts of paperwork my way because a new company wants to buy the hotel. Seriously? I was ankle deep in boxes of financial paperwork, the phone was ringing off the hook with people asking the dumbest questions like, "It says online that you have a heated pool, but at what temperature do you keep it? 86 degrees is what I like." Guess what! If you like water at 86 degrees, fill up your bathtub and jump in it with your toaster. Let me know how hot it gets! And for some reason, the housekeeping department decided to throw a tantrum about something that took the manager away and left me with NO help. It's days like this that cause me to drink and I don't smoke but I almost took it up by my 7th hour on the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment