Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Sunday, May 15, 2011

I am a Rachel Ruiner

Graduation hell:
It comes as no surprise that graduation is a huge deal in every college town. We are no exception. Every hotel in the area was sold out one year before graduation and of course the rates are sky high! Hotel management knows that no mother is going to let $300 a night stand in the way of seeing her baby walk across that stage and get his $40,000 degree in poetry, which he'll use to write cheesy poems that will never get published and he'll read at the local coffee shop for free because he is, after all, a "starving artist." I understand though. Who doesn't want to celebrate such a big occasion with family and friends and who isn't going to pay $600 per room to make sure that happens? The whole weekend seemed to be going smoothly until today. Today is when they all had to check out and trust me, that is when people will complain the most and do whatever they can to get money back. I got the usual "my towels were rough" or the "I could hear people in the hall all night." First, hotel towels suck and you've stayed here about 20 times and have never complained until you had to pay $300 a night. Why the hell not though? I guess I'd complain about rough towels if I was paying that much too. And as for people in the hall, you know it's graduation weekend and somewhere in your tiny brain, I'm sure you deduced that college aged kids and the ones with cool parents would be celebrating this event with lots of alcohol. I'm sorry you're the one sour grape in over 100 people. Step off. Honestly, these are the kinds of complaints I get all the time and can deal with them fine but here comes the one that I literally had no response for. This woman walks straight up to the desk and says: "I would like to thank you and this hotel for ruining my daughter's graduation experience. We were in the room trying to open presents with her and a housekeeper knocked and asked if we needed service." Are you waiting for me to finish that complaint, because I already did. How does someone knocking on the door and asking you one question ruin an entire graduation weekend? It's not like she asked you which one ordered the crack rock or came in dressed as Osama Bin Laden back from the grave. This lady actually wanted me to refund all 4 of her rooms because housekeeping came in and asked if they wanted service or needed anything. Seriously?! I was supposed to give this nutcase $2400 because a staff member was doing her job. Lady, get the fuck out. She argued with me for about 20 minutes and even used the line, "My daughter's memories of this weekend won't be good ones, they'll be plagued with our celebration and gift opening part of the day being interrupted for no good reason at all. Your staff should have more class." WHAT?! She fucking knocked on your door, which was opened by you. Also, there was no "Do not disturb" sign hanging on the door. After listening to her gripe over the stupidest shit ever, I finally told her there was absolutely nothing I could do for her and that had it been something more serious, I would have gladly refunded money but in this case, I couldn't. I apologized for being a Rachel Ruiner of her weekend and her schemes to get all her money back but she was nuttier than a squirrel's poop, y'all and I was glad to see her go!

My last guest to check out left me with the advice that "Everyone you meet is usually an alright person, but it's the devil inside of 'em that you need to watch out for." Preach, old man, preach!

As for the picture, I'd rather be at Hogwarts too, sistaaahh.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little slow...what is a "Rachel Ruiner?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. kind of like a debbie downer but instead of being sad, you ruin people's fun or something. lol you're not slow, i think i'm the only person that says that...

    ReplyDelete