Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

We are a Smoke Free Facility....

NO SMOKING:
Ok, let me start this blog post by stating that the hotel I work at is SMOKE FREE. There are no smoking signs ALL over the building and in the rooms. It's very clear that smoking is prohibited in the building and it's even on the sheet you sign at check in. We always get those rebels that think they can just open the window and no one will be able to tell or those people that just don't care at all and smoke anyway. Of course, everyone that smokes always complains and swears up and down they weren't smoking in the rooms when they see the $200 recovery fee charged to their cards. About a week ago, there were 2 Asian men staying in a room on the second floor who had been smoking in the room. It was no secret because you could smell the cigarette smoke in the hallway as soon as you stepped off the elevator. Being the manager, I was the one that had to deal with it. The housekeeper that reported it also brought down a KFC bucket from the room FULL of cigarette butts as evidence. It was GROSS. There were literally like 60 cigarettes in the bucket and they hadn't even been there an entire day. Since the 2 guys weren't in the room and there was no Do Not Disturb sign, I had to go put the "No smoking letter" up on the desk in their room, explaining why the room had been stripped and that there would be a recovery fee charged to their card. It was almost 11pm and they still hadn't shown up so I thought I was in the clear and that I wouldn't have to deal with the yelling about the fee and trying to lie their way out of it. Like every other post, why would I think I'd be lucky enough to escape this?! They walk in at 10:58pm right before shift change. I immediately get a phone call from the room asking why there was an ionizer and why their beds had been stripped.I explained that we are a smoke free facility and that I would have to put them in a new room for the night because their old room was being deep cleaned to get the cigarette smell out. When they got downstairs they started yelling at me and the night auditor that they would never smoke in the room... IN PERFECT ENGLISH BY THE WAY...but when I brought out the bucket of cigarette butts it was like completely silent for a minute and then they pulled the "NO SPEAK ENGLISH!" Get the fuck out of here. I didn't even know what to say. I just kept showing them the picture of the Xed out cigarette because you DON'T HAVE TO SPEAK OR READ ENGLISH TO KNOW THAT MEANS NOT TO FUCKING SMOKE!!! Oh my jeeebus. I was so mad and they just kept speaking Chinese to me when less than 10 minutes ago you were speaking the same language as me, buddy!! It just went back and forth for a few more mintues and then this little asshole TRIED TO COME OVER THE DESK TO GRAB THE EVIDENCE!! The KFC bucket was just sitting on the desk and this dumbass actually tried to take it from me saying, "MY PROPERTY!" I didn't know what else to do except karate chop his hand!! I mean, no guest has ever tried to take anything from behind the desk so it scared me and I just reacted. He looked just as stunned as me because I couldn't believe I had just karate chopped a guest's arm!!! Anyway, after 30 seconds of surprise, the dickheads finally just gave up because they had clearly lost. I charged them the $200 and all was well. I did have to explain to my manager about me swatting a guest but apparently it was no big deal since the guest was the first one to act in that situation and I was just "defending myself."



No comments:

Post a Comment