Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Saturday, October 15, 2011

No Pets Allowed

Dogs are not children:
People call here all the time to ask if we are a pet friendly hotel and the answer is NO. For some reason the general manager likes to make exceptions to this rule and let people bring their tiny dogs as long as they are kept in a crate and do not bark. These people are also required to sign a waiver that if anything is destroyed due to having a pet in the room, they will be charged a $200 recovery fee. Well, this weekend we have a few wedding parties staying here and I was very adamant that NO pets were allowed... not even the tiny ones. I was working check ins and I see one of the grooms come up to the desk with his soon to be wife pushing a pink stroller. Being the logical person I am, I assumed it was a baby and was trying to get a peek. There was this pink net material draped over the hood of the stroller so I couldn't really see much, but I could see enough to know that this was clearly not a baby!!! Then I heard a small bark. WTF. I began to tell the couple that we were not a pet friendly hotel and that they would have to stay somewhere else or board the dog and then the waterworks started. "We can't conceive children so it just infuriates me when people refer to Sassy as a dog. As far as we are concerned she is our daughter and we love her and treat her as such." ...What.the.fuck. I was literally speechless. The bride just kept crying and going on and on about being a barren woman when the guy finally stepped in and offered to pay  more. I apologized to him for bringing up such a sore subject (BUT HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THEIR DOG WAS A SUBSTITUTE FOR NOT HAVING CHILDREN!!) and just had him sign the recovery fee waiver. It was finally over... or was it?! Every time this couple came down, they had this poor poodle in the stroller with bows in its hair or wearing some ridiculous outfit. Don't get me wrong, I have dogs. I have had dogs my whole life but at some point you have to realize just that.... THEY ARE DOGS. No matter how much you may love your dog, it's still an animal. Putting pink dresses and bows on it isn't going to make it stop shitting in the floor. Anyway, these loony toons decided to bring "Sassy" down for breakfast. WRONG!! They were immediately told that no pets were allowed in the dining area, especially during breakfast hours. Well, what do you think happened? This crazy bitch decided to start crying and making a scene in front of everyone about how she can't have children and we were not treating her dog as we would any other child. Honestly, I felt really bad for her but there's just no way I could let her keep her dog downstairs while other people ate. She got mad but finally gave in, once her embarrassed looking groom talked some sense into her. I think I felt worse for the dog and her fiance more than I did her though because they looked miserable the whole time. I'm pretty sure I saw the dog plotting a way to escape through the lobby doors more than once. Now, I'm not saying love your pets less because they aren't people, but I am saying there are boundaries. Sure, put a jersey on your dog or cuddle with them, but don't fucking put them in strollers and parade them around telling people its your daughter!! What's sad is, she could probably adopt a kid but they might not let her if she starts talking about her dog because they'll think she's fucking insane!!! All I know is, I'm glad that tonight is the last night I have to see that little pink stroller and Sassy walk through this lobby....


No comments:

Post a Comment