Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

People Watching

You know you want to eat that muffin:
I have to admit, one of the best things about working as a hotel desk clerk is people watching. It's so fun to watch people when they think no one's looking, but sometimes it's incredibly gross. For instance, there was a guy standing in one of the hallways for at least 5 minutes just picking his nose and examining each booger. It was totes disgusting! Between the security cameras and people walking through the lobby, I see everything. I see people pick wedgies, scratch their asses, randomly sniff themselves, fall, run into things.. the list goes on and on. One morning, I was at the desk just "observing" people during breakfast hours and by that I mean, I had my nose crammed in a book and would only look up every few minutes. It just so happens I glanced up at precisely the right moment. Everyone had cleared out except for one really old man. He was wandering around checking out everything on the bar and it seemed like he was a little overwhelmed with his options. After several minutes, it looked like he had finally decided on a muffin and some yogurt. He picked a table, sat down and then just stared at his plate. I can't be sure if he did this on purpose or if it was an accident but I swear to God it looked like he swatted at the muffin. Whatever the case may be, the muffin landed on the ground and was there for a solid minute before the old geezer finally picked it up. The five second rule clearly doesn't apply when you're a 99 year old man. He looked at the muffin for about 30 more seconds then gobbled it down. I immediately stuck my face back in my book because I knew I was about to lose it and start cracking up. This old man was so ridiculous. He stayed in the lobby for a long while just putting things on his plate and staring at them for a long time before devouring them. Maybe he was giving himself a pep talk to get up enough courage to eat the food or maybe he was just a crazy old man. Regardless, I love him and I wish he ate breakfast here every single day. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment