Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Killer Smells

Parenting at it's finest:
As I'm sure you may remember from previous posts, the hotel I work at is a smoke free facility. And as you may remember from those posts, people do break the rules and smoke in their rooms, completely disregarding the no smoking signs posted everywhere. We do the best we can to get rid of the smoky smell when someone decides to be an ass-hat and break the rules but sometimes it just lingers. Recently, someone smoked in a room and we did charge them the $250 fine that goes along with being an inconsiderate jackass but we were having such a hard time getting the horrible stench out. We used the ionizer, opened windows, sprays, etc. and nothing was working. We left the room out of service for a few days hoping the ionizer would do the trick, but you could still sort of smell it. We finally had to put the room back in service and hope for the best. Being a nonsmoker, it was very noticeable to me but a lot of the employees that smoked, couldn't really tell there was a smell, so I figured I would try to put a smoker in the room as opposed to a nonsmoker. Of course, this was super tricky because it meant I had to be extra observant when guests came in and look for any sign of cigarettes, lighter, matches, etc. Finally, a lady came in with her son and she had a cigarette case in her hand. I hit the jackpot and it was going to be OK... or as it goes with my luck, the worst mistake ever. The lady came back down to the desk and complained of the smoky smell. Alright, so my plan didn't work. Not only did she complain about the smell but she starts in on "I thought this was a no smoking hotel!!" I point out that we are nonsmoking but sometimes guests don't care and smoke anyway. She looked annoyed by my answer like there was no way people would actually smoke in a nonsmoking hotel! But what else was I supposed to say? She's a grown ass woman... she has to know that there are people out there that lie, cheat, steal and what have you. It's not like I was breaking her faith in the human race at the innocent age of 40-something. Anyway, she proceeded to tell me that her son has asthma and it's really harmful for him to be around cigarette smoke. I apologized for the inconvenience and offered to move her to a new room. She went on a rant about how they had already unpacked and she didn't feel like moving. Ok, first: there's no way you unpacked all the shit you brought in 2 minutes because that's how long it took you to come back downstairs from the room. Second: even if you were completely unpacked, your son's health condition might be worth you repacking and moving to a new room, you fucking moron. Don't come get in my face and go on and on about your room being potentially harmful to your son and then not want to get the EFF out of it! I had this woman figured out though -- she didn't want to move, she just wanted a discount. A discount that she wasn't going to get from me as long as I had a perfectly good room to put her in that wasn't a death threat to her asthmatic child. She continued to complain, asked for the manager, told her it was me and she finally took the upgraded new room. The next day as I was sitting at home enjoying a glass of sweet tea, I get a text message from one of my front desk employees: "You know that lady you had to move out of the smoky room? Well, she's loading up her car and smoking a cigarette right beside her son." ..... And this is why I hate people.



No comments:

Post a Comment