Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Please Pay Attention

Annoyed:
There are several things that cause me to get irritated with guests but the biggest one is when a guest doesn't listen. During check in, I explain EVERYTHING. Literally. I explain breakfast hours, wifi, pool, fitness center, that your room number is on your key flap and I even explain that putting your room keys next to your cell phone or credit cards may cause them to become demagnetized. You would think people would want to hear this stuff, but clearly no. I can't tell you how many people I check in every single day that will come back to the desk and ask me to explain everything all over again. They even get mad at me and act like I should have told them these things already... well, guess what! I did tell you that breakfast is from 6am-10am, asshole Mr. Smith. PAY ATTENTION. This guy comes in last night and I give him the WHOLE spiel. Not even 5 minutes later he comes back down and says "I don't know what's wrong but my key card won't work." Oh, really? Didn't I tell you not to put them next to your cell phones or credit cards? Because it looks like you're hold it right next to your fucking blackberry!! I apologize, remake his keys and give him the warning that they can be demagnetized by phones and credit cards. His response? "Oh, so this is my fault now?" I kind of wanted to say "yes, jackass, it is." Instead I assured him it wasn't his fault at all and that this sort of thing happens all the time. He went about his way. I see the same guy downstairs this morning and it's about 10:45am so breakfast is over. I wasn't working the desk so I knew I wouldn't have to deal with him... thank God. He walks over to the desk clerk on duty and says "What time is breakfast?" She politely tells him and apologizes that he missed it but offers him a muffin or some fruit. He gets livid. "You know what? This really pisses me off. When I checked in last night, the girl at the desk didn't tell me ANYTHING about breakfast or pool hours so I missed my swim last night as well. Don't get me started on the fact that she blamed me for my keys not working. I demand to speak with your manager!" Welllllp, looks like I was going to be dealing with him after all. When I came around the corner, he looked speechless. I asked him what the problem was and he just got red in the face and started telling me the same thing he told the desk clerk. He knew he was lying and so did I so I'm not sure why he didn't just walk away but he continued through his lie and when he stopped I just stood there. I could go about this two ways... I could just pretend what he said was true and give him the discount or I could call him out on his shit. I decided I'd had enough of people walking stomping all over me so I chose the latter. I explained to him that I was the young lady lady who checked him in and that I did, indeed, explain all of these things to him, but he seemed to be busy checking his phone and might not have heard everything (or anything at all for that matter). I also reminded him that I apologized for the key mishap and assured him that it wasn't his fault so as for "BLAMING him" --- I did not. Once my explanation of the situation was over, he knew he had lost. I did not give him the discount or apologize for his lack of attention, but I did get him that muffin and fruit from the kitchen. Let this be a lesson to all of you checking into hotels....
PAY ATTENTION.




No comments:

Post a Comment