Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ah, The Little Things...

Don't sweat the small stuff:
With a job like mine, there's rarely a day that I don't hear someone complain. People come to me with EVERY complaint you could possibly think of. Just this week, a guy found ONE ant at the end of the breakfast bar near the syrup and proceeded to FLIP HIS SHIT. He yelled at the front desk clerk, threatened to call DOH and started taking several pictures of the ant in question. Finally, he gets to me... the manager. I calmed him down and assured him that our breakfast bar gets A ratings in health inspections and we are very clean but sometimes one little ant just happens to slip through the cracks. Anyway, my point is... it doesn't take much to set people off but it takes a miracle to get them to calm down. Well, my miracle came through today! Some asshole was in my face this morning complaining about getting overcharged $1.23!  <--- THAT'S ONE DOLLAR AND 23 CENTS, FOLKS --- And when I say complaining, I mean YELLING. It was nothing short of ridiculous, really. The thing that amazed me the most was, I had already apologized and refunded the $1.23 and he just kept going on and on about it. Well, I noticed another guest was watching the scene and I didn't want someone to complain about some maniac in the lobby bitching about money so I was slowly moving the conversation out of the lobby and lowering my voice when all of a sudden this other guest walks right up to me and the gentlemen with the financial complaint. He didn't even say anything to me but turned to the angry cheapskate and simply said "Man, haven't you ever heard not to sweat the small stuff?," pulled out a 5 dollar bill, handed it to the guy and walked out of the hotel lobby into the parking lot. I was STUNNED! I didn't know how Mr. Penny Pincher was going to react so I braced myself for the worst. I mean, some RANDOM man walked right up to this man, gave him $5 and basically told him to chill the fuck out. Instead of getting mad and ranting on, the guy just turned red, apologized and left. HOLY COW!! Are you serious? That's all it takes to get someone to stop being a complete douche? I have no idea who the miracle worker is, but God bless him and his $5!




No comments:

Post a Comment