Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Friday, July 8, 2011

Oh, Don't be Ants at a Picnic!

Ants in your pants... er... room, rather:
So I know I haven't posted in a while but I've been busy getting promoted!! Yay, right?! Wrong! Sure, they pay me more but I really don't think they pay me enough. When you get 'Manager' added to your name tag, it really seems to bring the crazy out in people. They immediately start demanding money off or complaining about the tiniest things because unlike the other employees, I no longer have my safety net of "Oh, I'm sorry! I'm not authorized to take 50 cents off of your bill, you cheap asshole, you'll have to talk to a manager!" I still work my desk shifts 3-4 times a week so the wackos make sure I'm more than entertained on a daily basis. I was working the evening shift last night and this man approached me with a complaint about having "two ants in his room." Obviously, having ants in your hotel room is not okay but I was confused that he said "two," implying that he actually counted them. Not only did he specify the number (two) but he had also taken a picture of them (on the window sill) to make sure he had enough evidence to get his room discounted. Of course, I discounted it and apologized but thought nothing else of it. He came back down around 2 hours later and I swear to God, what he said next made him the biggest screwball ever in my opinion. "I wanted to make you aware that I followed those (TWO!) ants to find out where they were coming from and it looks like they're crawling in from the window sill and just staying right along a path in front of the air conditioner." I just stared at him with a blank expression on my face. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy that he had ants in his room even if it was only two, but the fact that he actually went back to his room and FOLLOWED the ants to find out where they were coming from and going blew my mind. Are you kidding me?! I told him I'd make sure the maintenance was informed about the little guys and apologized again. You'd think it was over, right? No. For the rest of the night, every single time he walked through the lobby, he updated me on the ants and their progress from the window to the air conditioner and back again! Thank you, freak, but I don't give a shit about these ants anymore. At this point I had already taken half off his room, offered to move him and told him someone would be in the room tomorrow to assess the situation (if you can even call it that). My only wish was that the ants would get all their little ant friends together and carry their stalker far, far away. Whatever. Just another weirdo!






No comments:

Post a Comment