Hotales

Hotales
The Life and Times of A Hotel Desk Clerk

Monday, July 30, 2012

Flubbed Up!

Even the best make mistakes:
I pride myself in how well I do my job and it really bothers me when someone is AWFUL at their jobs but no one ever calls them out on it. How can someone be so ok with mediocrity? Well, a lady I work with has NEVER been good at her job. The first few weeks, we chalked it up to her being new and needing to be trained, but after a 1.5 years and you STILL can't tell me what's on the breakfast bar or book a group of rooms without making a mistake, something is wrong with you. I don't know if she was just bad at her job or just didn't care because she got away with so much for so long. Most likely, it was the latter but I finally had my fill of it. I spoke with the people in charge and made it clear that I would no longer be working at the hotel because I couldn't stand being a 24 hour help desk for her and other management personnel. If they wanted to be in management then they should know how to do their jobs. In the end, they ended up firing her and giving me a raise so I am still with the hotel. That's awesome for me, right? Of course! I was on cloud nine... until... I made the BIGGEST mistake ever!! What made it even worse is that it happened RIGHT after I had someone else fired for being a moron. When the front desk or anyone working at the hotel takes a reservation, there is a "NOTES" box and a "SPECIAL REQUESTS" box for them to type comments or special requests in. If the front desk types anything in the "NOTES" box, the guest will never see it, but if they type something in the "SPECIAL REQUESTS" box, it shows up on the guest's confirmation letter. Welllllll..... I took a reservation with the most pain in the butt lady and accidentally wrote my comments about her in the "SPECIAL REQUESTS" box, which she saw on her confirmation letter. The comments were not very nice at all. It started out like this: 

"This lady is going to be a problem. I spent 35 minutes on the phone with her trying to explain the different between our rewards program and someone else's. 35 MINUTES! She didn't get it!! If she shows up with a voucher from another rewards program, DO NOT LET HER USE IT!! If she can't tell the difference, not our problem."

OH.MY.GOD. She saw that on her confirmation that I emailed her. WOW. I was 100% positive I was going to get fired. When I met with the manager, he just kept laughing but I was nearly in tears. I ended up getting a slap on the wrist and I have to take a customer relations class. Needless to say, she ended up with a free stay at the hotel AND booked another reservation for her next trip to town so at least it didn't completely scar her from ever staying at our hotel again. Not to mention, she has NO IDEA who did it so that was a relief. I have definitely learned my lesson and now we no longer write anything in the notes box other than what's absolutely necessary. WHEW!





1 comment:

  1. Omg this made me laugh, i know all about them boxs, lol but we never wright anything like that on reservation, we make notes in our logbook

    ReplyDelete